Saturday, March 8, 2014

It’s the little things

My father is an engineer, and he never missed an opportunity to bring science and engineering into daily life.  Whether it was setting up our first computer (a Commodore 64) or balancing the chemicals in the fish tank, he made sure we all knew what he was doing, why he was doing it, and how to figure things out. 


One of my most vivid memories as a very young child was during a road trip to the beach one summer.  Getting sick of being crammed in the backseat with me, I’m sure, my older sisters (ages 10 and 11) asked how much longer until we arrived.  Rather than tell them how long it would be, my father said that we were about 100 miles away and traveling at 55 miles per hour, and reminded them that rate times time equals distance.  I was 5 and certainly did not understand multiplication, but even at that age I absorbed the important lesson that an answer could be obtained through a process – it was not simply a fact to be stated.  

I think there are a few lessons to be learned here:
  1. Kids are never too young for math or science.  Just because the kids doesn't yet have the full foundation to understand what is happening, there is value in introducing them to scientific thinking.
  2. There are all kinds of daily experiences that can be explained with math and science.  Any time you fix something or assemble something or learn something new, you are going through a process.  Share that process with the children around you.
  3. This is an example of privilege.  I was privileged to have an engineer for a parent.  I was privileged that that parent wanted to share his thinking with me.  Not everyone has this experience at home, so it needs to be provided at school and in other daily interactions.  And we need to understand that just because a child doesn't immediately respond to the interaction doesn't mean they aren't getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment